La Crosse County
La Crosse, WI, USA
The purpose of this position is to lead, with vision and strategy, the operational activities of the Facilities Department, which is responsible for the maintenance of all County owned properties, including structures, grounds and capital equipment, as well as operation of County owned parks, and campgrounds, including customer service and store operations. The Director is selected and supervised by the County Administrator and selection is confirmed by the County Board. This leader will assure the effective functioning of multiple facilities to provide an efficient and safe environment for employees and customers by using best practices to manage resources, services and processes to meet the needs of the County. Leads the facilities team to deliver excellence in service to both internal and external customers.
ESSENTIAL LEADERSHIP FUNCTIONS:
Acts with integrity and builds trust through demonstrated respect, humility and honesty. Treats others with dignity.
Encourages open communication. Actively listens and demonstrates open-minded thinking and willingness to accept other’s points of view. Engages stakeholders and effectively collaborates. Demonstrates the courage to speak out appropriately with leaders and peers even when your point of view is unpopular.
Employs vision and strategy to drive positive results by leading with clear goals, objectives and desired outcomes. Seeks out new opportunities to drive results through new processes and initiatives. Evaluates and monitors to hold self and others accountable for results.
Demonstrates ability to be flexible while informally influencing others through coaching, motivation, and team-minded thinking to arrive at solutions that provide positive outcomes for all stakeholders. Seeks feedback and listens to learn despite personal setbacks.
Demonstrates agile thinking while understanding the dynamics of the organization and public influence and perception. Uses analytical skills, experience, and input from others to make critical decisions.
Serves as an active participant in various committees and teams to influence key decisions within the County. Takes intelligent risks and leads the organization through change. Demonstrates perseverance by pushing through difficult and challenging situations.
Leads, collaborates, partners, and drives results on all County-wide facility initiatives. Serves as an advocate in the County for environmental related strategies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Leads all operations of the Facilities Department, as governed by the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee.
Prepares department operational budget, and budgets for capital improvements and capital equipment.
Prepares multi-year Capital Improvement Plan for all facilities.
Oversees, advises and consults on all capital improvements and capital equipment installation, maintenance and operation.
Supervises the overall acquisition of various products to properly equip County sites.
Plans landscapes of County properties and determines the types of vegetation and materials to be used.
Advises and consults in the drawing of specifications for all major projects regarding County properties.
Maintains responsibility for reporting on department activities as necessary or requested.
Maintains responsibility for interpreting and enforcing County policies, rules and ordinances as they relate to Facilities Department operations, including building security.
Oversees departmental employee relations, including hiring, training, motivating, supervising, performance management and work assignments. Coordinates training that develops facility team members regarding safety. Demonstrates passion for developing individuals and teams.
In this public service position, employee is required to be courteous, cooperative and respectful always, with the public and clients. Also establishes and maintains a courteous, cooperative and respectful working relationship with other employees, supervisors and public officials.
Employee is expected to report to work when scheduled, with minimum use of sick leave, to build up sick leave balance for income protection for unexpected illness.
Physical demands: Sits, stands, walks, talks, listens, uses near and far vision, occasionally bends, twists, reaches, and navigates rough terrain. Majority of time is spent indoors in an office environment, and a lesser amount of time is spent outdoors in all types of weather and environmental conditions. On rare occasions may be exposed to confined spaces, machine/equipment noise, hazardous fumes, odors or chemicals.
RELATED JOB FUNCTIONS:
This job description is not intended to encompass every job duty or responsibility but is only illustrative. This position is required to perform other duties as may be assigned or required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of and experience with Computerized Building Automation Control Systems.
- •Considerable knowledge computerized building operations equipment and maintenance equipment, surveillance camera equipment, building cleaning equipment and lawn care products and equipment.
- •Working knowledge of VAV systems and heating, ventilating and air conditioning equipment.
- •Working knowledge of various types of construction trades and associated tools, such as electrical, carpentry, painting and masonry.
- •Knowledge of trees, shrubs, grasses and lawn care.
- •Considerable knowledge of administrative and management techniques and resources.
- •Ability to operate, maintain, and repair HVAC, electrical and electronic control systems.
- •Ability to plan, organize, coordinate, train, manage and supervise the work of subordinates.
- •Ability to develop and maintain records of activities and drafting reports, including development and implementation of computerized database for scheduled building maintenance & repairs.
- •Ability to specify and develop bids for building and grounds purchases.
- •Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the general public, County officials and employees.
- •Ability to follow complex oral and written instructions and interpret regulations governing the operation of various buildings and grounds.
- •Ability to act independently to preserve, protect, and maintain county buildings and property especially in times of emergency.
- •Ability to budget and coordinate projects county-wide for county buildings and grounds.
- Ability to interpret and enforce policy and procedure as well as County ordinance
TRAINING, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with emphasis on building maintenance, public facility management, architecture, or other associated discipline.
- •Three (3) years of supervisory experience in large building management.
- •Experience to include computerized building automation control functions.
- Experience in Parks Administration
- •Demonstrated skill with AutoCAD software.
- •Broad overall knowledge of all building electronic systems
- •May consider other relevant combinations of education and experience that provide equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Your application has been successfully submitted.